Monday, October 09, 2006

The war on blowingpeopleupism

Last week Eric and I were walking around midtown wasting some time before he had to go back to work, and in our wonderings, we came across a section of Lexington Ave that had been closed off with police line. A couple of cops and a few dozen civilians milled around, peering down the empty street, looking for signs of ensuing tragedy. The most often overheard phrase was "suspicious package".

I'm a simple person, and I think in simple terms. This is the strongest evidence I can see that terrorists are winning. We are afraid. We have been inflicted with terror. We fear forgotten suitcases. We fear cameras. We fear powdered donuts.

For more than a year, bags and packages have been subject to random search on NYC subways. Last time I checked, the US Constitution said that my right to be secure in my person, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated. But it has been, and I stood there and let it be violated because to refuse to allow the search meant that I would be late for a meeting. The lowest point of my life was unzipping my backpack to prove to disinterested cops that I was not a terrorist.

I am afraid, but I'm not afraid of Iraq or of the Taliban or of Al Qaeda. I am afraid that I won't have the gumption to stand up for what is right. I'm afraid that I'll be willing to submit to someone who claims to be able to provide stable, if orange-alerted, comfort.

1 Comments:

At 9:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Intelligent. Genuine.
Oh, and this post is too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home